Thread: Anyone on Telcel?

Familiar User

Anyone on Telcel?

What a joke this company is. It's similar to the way it used to be in Canada. They charge you a relatively high rate for what you get because there is no other reliable phone company to compete with.

There are only two good things about my plan:
    1) There is no charge to tether.
    2) Since my plan is old I have "unlimited" internet access (they don't offer that anymore)

However, the reason why unlimited is in quotes is because, unlimited, to them, means within their idea of acceptable use. I have 3GB of usage where I have the best of their network capabilities. After that, they slow it down to speeds slower than dial-up. I can use internet on my phone, at that speed, up to 10GB. Once I hit the 10GB they cut me off. I realize 10 GB is a lot but, I don't think it should be called unlimited if they cut it off. Granted, I shouldn't be complaining because the last time I checked the plans they offer now only offer 3GB for the same price I'm paying now.

However, that has somewhat prevented me from upgrading my phone. When I was looking at upgrading it, they wanted me to lock myself into one of these new plans for 2 years and pay $700 for an iPhone 5. I could buy an unlocked phone at an Apple store for that much, without a contract. I pretty much told them no. So now I get texts daily telling me to renew my plan and upgrade my phone.

I don't really have a point to this, except to say that Americans are lucky. The choices they have are far superior to anything I've ever dealt with, both in Canada and Mexico.

Familiar User

Re: Anyone on Telcel?

I know that. Here in mexico people use Telcel just because it's the only major phone company besides Movistar.
    Their plans are a joke. There are no more unlimited plans, and the internet plans offer almost nothing. And that's without taking into account the overprices phones. Yes, americans are lucky.

Familiar User

Re: Anyone on Telcel?

To make things worse, there is no internet provider where I live. That means, I have to use the 3G internet from them. You can tell when the high traffic periods are, as the connection is slower than Mexican mail. With all the money Carlos Slim has you'd think Telcel would be able to add a few more towers and increase the network. I can't wait until I can unlock my Canadian 5s and see if I can actually get 4G speeds like they advertise.

Thread Information